Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Moral Reasoning about Sports

Back in the day, long before the word blog was ever invented, I used to teach a class called Moral Reasoning about Sports.

 On the first day, I would pass out the article coach Gundy refers to in the video below. I then asked for response from the new students. Finally, I played the YouTube video for all to see:



Usually, I wouldn't make it through the video without bawling like a new born babe. But the point was expressed all the same.

The first rule of moral reasoning:

1). never go after a kid.

So when I first learned of the Giants-Bucs kneel-down controversy, I asked myself: Is anyone going after a kid here?

No. These are grown men playing a grown man's game.

Ok.

On to the second rule:

2.) you play to win the game.

If Eli fumbled the kneel-down snap and the Bucs were left standing watching like a bunch of pansies, is that playing to win the game?

Hell no!

Save the classy pleasantries for after the final whistle blows!

In the game of football, you play every single snap to win the game.

Therefore I agree with Coach Schiano and his decision to play to win the game. 

- professor emirates lydgate

No comments:

Post a Comment